Home contents insurance

Don't worry, we have your building insurance covered. But you do need to arrange your own contents insurance to protect your belongings. Here's how to value what you have and to find a suitable insurer.

We strongly recommend that you arrange your own home contents insurance.

Why do I need it?

Contents insurance is designed to help protect your possessions. No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen.

To help you decide whether home contents insurance is right for you, the Trust has teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks, and Ageas Insurance Limited who provide the My Home Contents Insurance Scheme.

This is a tenants' contents insurance policy designed for tenants living in social housing.

What it can cover

The My Home Contents Insurance Scheme can offer you insurance for the contents of your home including cover for items such as

  • furniture
  • carpets
  • curtains
  • clothes
  • bedding
  • electrical items
  • jewellery
  • pictures and ornaments.

Need more information?

  • Ask your local housing officer for an application pack
  • Call Thistle Tenant Risks on 0345 450 7288
  • Or visit Thistle My Home for more information or to request a call back.


Thistle Insurance Services Ltd works in partnership with The National Housing Federation.

Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN 310419.   Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group.

Always use an insurer that is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). Thistle Insurance Services are a company that specialises in social housing contents insurance, however there are also other providers that can be found on comparison websites like Money Supermarket or Compare the Market.

Websites like Money Supermarket, uSwitch and Compare the Market provide information on affordable home contents insurance schemes. 

Find more on your responsibilities here:

Share this content

Register for our email newsletter and receive updates on news and events
Sign up today