Insurance for leaseholders & shared owners

Find out what you need to consider as a leaseholder and shared owner when it comes to buildings and contents insurance.

Leaseholder and shared owners building insurance

All leasehold and shared ownership building insurance & claims for incidents are dealt with by Zurich Municipal.


  • The policy number is JHA-22S685-0033 (2023/24)

The internal decorations including internal walls, ceilings, fixture and fittings are covered against damage caused by an insured peril. The insurance policy covers the leaseholders’ share of the exterior structure and communal areas of the building against perils such as fire, storm damage, vandalism, flooding (including burst pipes).

Please note the following extensions and conditions to the general insurance policy conditions:

  • Unoccupancy clause: Policy provides 60 days coverage for unoccupied properties and then reduced cover for malicious damage, theft and escape of water (see schedule). Loss of rent and alternative accommodation: 30% of building sum insured.

  • Claims excess: £100 excess for each and every loss increasing to £350 for escape of water and £1000 for subsidence, ground heave and landslip claims.

  • Landlords insurance: Please note if you are sub-letting your property, arranging Landlords Insurance remains your responsibility and it is not part of your leasehold building insurance.

    We highly recommend you have landlords insurance cover in place to deal with any issues or disputes in relation to your tenancy.

Details of how to claim are contained within the policy schedule.

To make a claim for vandalism you will need to request a crime reference number from the police.

Home contents insurance

Under the terms of your lease, your personal belongings i.e., furniture, television or refrigerator are not insured against theft or damage.

This means that if your possessions are destroyed during an incident, you will not be covered for your loss unless you have household contents insurance. It is the leaseholder’s responsibility to ensure that home contents insurance is in place for personal belongings.

More about content insurance

Register for our email newsletter and receive updates on news and events
Sign up today