Permissions and adaptations

You need permission to make some changes to your home. We can also work on small adaptations if you need help to live comfortably and safely in your home. If you need major adaptations, we can help you find the support you need.

Permissions and alterations to your home

You must have written consent from us before removing, building or installing any structures such as:

  • a garage

  • parking area

  • shed

  • greenhouse

  • an outbuilding within the boundary of the property.

You will be responsible for all maintenance and repairs to any structure you install with our permission.

If you make any additions, alterations or improvements to the property or any garden area without our written permission, we might ask you to put the property back to its original condition.

You are responsible for repairs to fixtures or fittings that do not belong to us. In addition, you are responsible for repairs to any alterations or improvements you have made.

Any works that you do, you must comply with all current building regulations and have planning permission. You must make sure you employ suitably qualified contractors for all installations and repair works.

Aids and adaptations

An adaptation is a change or alteration in or around your home to allow you to live more independently or allow you and/or your carer greater safety and mobility.

We want to make sure that your home is suitable for your needs. We understand that your needs may change due to illness or disability. As a result you may require alterations to allow you to make the most of your home.

More about aids and adaptations

Minor adaptations

These can be requested from our Customer Experience Team and include things like:

  • grabs rails

  • lever taps

  • internal stair hand rails

Major adaptations

All other requests such as ramps, wet rooms, external hand rails, door widening, will only be accepted from a referral direct from an Occupational Health Team. Contact your GP in the first instance.

IMPORTANT: If we need to carry out major repairs that require you to move out of your home, we may offer you temporary or alternative accommodation. If this is the case, you must move back into your original property when those repair works are completed or at any time which has been agreed between you and us.

Register for our email newsletter and receive updates on news and events
Sign up today