Problems paying your rent

If you are struggling to pay your rent or your other bills we want to help. Often, the earlier people seek support the better. Our experienced team is here for you.

We have a team of skilled staff that can give you advice on benefits, money management and support you when things change in your life.

They are here to help you to find practical solutions so that nobody falls behind with their rent. 

Here to help

Bills, food, school uniforms, it all mounts up.

If you’ve fallen behind or are having trouble paying your rent get in touch as soon as possible.

If you are behind on your rent payments

If you find yourself in rent arrears, we’ll write to you, call you or visit you to discuss how you can pay your arrears in affordable amounts.

Together we will work on a repayment plan. See below what will happen if you don’t keep up with that plan.

Want money advice, such as keeping to a budget or how to check any benefit entitlement?

There are a number of agencies that may be able to help.

Budget planning

Citizens Advice Bureau

Main office on Sunderland St, Macclesfield

Advice: 03444 111 444

Admin/Appointments: 01625 432847

E-mail advice:

Appointments and drop-in sessions available at offices in Macclesfield, Knutsford, Wilmslow and Poynton.

Christians Against Poverty (CAP) and Hope Central

Completely free and available to anyone living in SK9 and WA16, CAP have partnered with Hope Central to provide a debt counselling service that takes into account your wider circumstances, emotional needs, and your financial situation. 

Ring 0800 328 0006 for more information (lines are open between 9:30am and 5pm Monday to Thursday, and between 9:30am and 3.30pm on Fridays).

CAP has also produced this self-help guide


Our staff can help you to apply for Employment Support Programmes like New Leaf and Springboard, which aim to help you get on with training, education and/ or work.

Email and asked to be referred to these Employment Support Programmes.

LEAP is a free service that is helping people keep warm and reduce their energy bills without costing them any money. See how you can save.

Cheshire East can help with Council Tax Support (CTS) gives you a reduction on your Council Tax bill if you are on a low income. You will get a revised Council Tax bill with a reduced balance.

High Peak Council can help you to understand if you are eligible for ‘council tax reduction’.

Cheshire West has online information about its Council Tax reduction scheme.

Entitledto is an independent online benefit calculator that helps people to work out what they can claim from national and local government.



When things go wrong

As a customer, it’s your responsibility to make sure you pay your rent on time. But if you are struggling to pay your rent, we’re here to help.

Possession order

However, if you don’t keep up with a repayment plan, we will take legal action to take possession of your home by serving a ‘Notice of Seeking Possession’.

This means that if you don’t pay your arrears or agree a repayment plan with us, we’ll apply to the County Court for a possession order.


If we must take you to court, you’ll be responsible for paying £355 for the court costs, and the judge will also order you to pay your weekly rent and arrears by instalments each week.

The judge might also grant us immediate possession of your home, which means you will need to leave.

You’ll also be given a County Court Judgement.

Last resort

If you continue to miss payments, we’ll apply for an eviction warrant and you could lose your home.

Eviction is always our last option when we have tried all other options.

We want to keep people in their homes. After all, it's why we're here.