Mould and condensation
No one wants mould or condensation in their home. Left alone it can also cause longer-term damage. But the good news is that there are easy ways to tackle these problems. Here’s how.
If you have damp, mould, or condensation in your home, you must contact us as soon as you notice it.
We will send a repairs inspector to your home to take a look and to discuss the possible cause, to log any necessary repairs and to give you advice and guidance if the problem is related to condensation.
Keep your rooms warm when the temperature outside drops
Provide some ventilation when rooms are in use or when you’re cooking or bathing
Wipe up condensation from the windows in the morning
Keep your internal doors closed, particularly the kitchen and bathroom, and leave a window slightly open after bathing
Use the extractor fan if you have one fitted.
Leave the kettle or a pan boiling longer than necessary
Leave the kitchen and bathroom doors open when cooking or bathing
Dry clothes on a radiator or use a front vented tumble dryer without a venting tube discharging outside
Stand furniture too close to a wall so that air cannot circulate
Block ventilators, especially where any form of gas heating is in use
Leave condensation to run down windows, causing puddles on the sill
Allow mould to build up on any surface.
Condensation is water vapour in the air in most homes - warm air holds more moisture than cold. When this moisture meets a cold surface (eg a window or wall) the vapour turns into visible droplets of water.
Water running down windows, damp patches on walls and un-insulated ceilings are the obvious signs that there is condensation in the home.
Mould spores are like tiny invisible seeds that float in the air. When they come in to contact with moisture these spores multiply, very much like weeds in the garden.
Most common moulds are black or dark green and they like to grow in cupboards, wardrobes and on the back of furniture which is too close to the wall.
Lots of moisture will soil the clothes in a wardrobe with a powdery mildew. You often see this on leather shoes.
Yes. Mould on wallpaper or on the edges of window frames can be washed down with a mild solution of white distilled vinegar.
The acid in the vinegar kills the mould spores. It needs to be left on for up to an hour then wiped off.
If the mould reappears then the Trust can be contacted to treat it with a fungicidal solution but vinegar will work in the majority of situations.
On clothes, allow mildew to dry thoroughly before washing or dry-cleaning any affected items.