How long have you been a Gas Engineer?
I have been a plumbing, heating and gas engineer for 42 years including a four-year apprenticeship and a year as an improver.
What is the best thing about your job?
There are many things like the sense of job satisfaction when I have installed a technical heating or gas system.
Also, the diversity of the job – no two days are the same and I get to travel to different places and meet lots different of people.
Mark’s top tips for caring for your boiler
- Keep your boiler serviced annually
- If you have a combi boiler always keep it at the correct pressure
- Always make sure the radiators are bled to get maximum efficiency and to avoid creating cold spots in your home which can lead to higher energy bills
- During the summer months, always run the heating at least once a month for half an hour to stop certain valves from seizing up.
Why is it important that we attend annual gas services?
Testing is important to make sure all gas appliances and installations - not just boilers - are safe. For example:
- Testing that flues and chimneys are taking away the products of combustion safely and correctly
- Making sure ventilation is all working correctly and not obstructed
- Checking that gas installations are not leaking
- Opening flue appliance and making sure they are not spilling fumes
- Making sure gas appliances do not have incomplete combustion and are not over gassed.
Find answers to common questions about gas servicing here.