Portable gas heaters are dangerous

Portable gas heaters put you at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, nitrogen dioxide poisoning and mould.

Portable gas heaters can't be used in your home. It's against your tenancy agreement.

These heaters (also known as calor gas heaters) can cause carbon monoxide poisoning, nitrogen dioxide poisoning and mould. That's why our message is clear: don't have portable gas heaters inside your homes.

(a gas heater is a space heater that warms you up by burning a gas - like propane or butane)

Carbon monoxide poisoning

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless gas that can cause organ damage and death. You can't smell, see or taste carbon monoxide.

Your gas heater can release carbon monoxide if it isn't working properly - eg it's rusted, isn't ventilated properly, or some of the pieces are in the wrong places.

Nitrogen dioxide poisoning

A gas heater not working properly also causes nitrogen dioxide poisoning.

This causes, at first, flu-like symptoms: sore throat, headache, vertigo, nausea, a cough. Like carbon monoxide poisoning, it can also cause serious injury and death.

Mould and damp

If your gas heater isn't working properly, it also produces water vapour. This can sit on your walls and ceiling and make your home humid enough for mould. 

What about other heaters?

Other portable heaters (like halogen heaters or oil filled heaters) can pose a risk too - they can cause fires and burn you - but they're much less dangerous than gas heaters. You can have halogen or oil filled heaters in your home.

Share this content