Advice for customers

Get quick answers to all the most common questions from rent queries and repairs to house swaps and home improvements.

Criminal behaviour Back

As a landlord we operate a no tolerance policy towards anyone placing another person at risk of serious harm. We work closely with the Police and other partners, such as the Fire and Ambulance services and Local Authorities, to prevent criminal acts from occurring.

We are not, however, able to deal with emergency situations in which a crime has been committed. So, if you have been the victim of a crime or have witnessed a crime, you must contact the Police immediately.

What if the problems continue or the Police cannot help?

From time to time, there may be a limit to what the Police can do in the situation and the crime may be connected to other issues, such as problems you are experiencing with your neighbour.

Often these ongoing problems are connected to:

  • Misuse of alcohol and drugs, such as the smell of cannabis coming from a neighbour’s home.
  • Threatening behaviour, whether verbal or physical, such as swearing over the garden fence.
  • Vandalism, such as damage to vehicles, where there is no evidence of who has caused it.

In much the same way as the Police, there can often be little that we, as a landlord, can do to stop these types of issues, once they occur. We understand it can have a big impact on your happiness in your home and would encourage you to look at our advice on dealing with problems with your neighbours.

What if someone is being abused?

Abuse is a crime and a violation of an individual’s human and civil rights. It can take many forms, for example:

  • Domestic violence, such as, physical or sexual abuse to a partner.
  • Physical abuse, such as, scratching, punching, biting, strangling or kicking. 
  • Sexual abuse, such as, forcing someone to perform a sexual act.
  • Financial abuse, such as, someone offering to do a neighbour’s food shopping for them and buying items for themselves using their neighbour’s money.  
  • Emotional abuse, such as, making people feel guilty for spending time with friends or doing a college night course.
  • Neglect, such as, not feeding or cleaning children properly or not helping an elderly or disabled family member.
  • Discrimination because of someone’s disability, gender, race, beliefs or sexual orientation.

If you are a victim of abuse or suspect someone else is being abused, you should call the Police.

Useful links

Alternatively ask to speak to one of Peaks and Plains Safeguarding Leads, who will listen and help you in confidence.

Was this page useful?

Still need help?