Find out if you're eligible for a mutual exchange and your next steps to mutually exchange.

What is a mutual exchange?

A mutual exchange is where social housing tenants (council/housing association or other registered providers) can swap properties with other social housing tenants.

Find out your eligibility below:

Yes, providing they have the right to mutually exchange within their tenancy agreement and they are a social housing tenant (council/housing association or other registered providers) within the UK.

  •  We have served you with a Notice of Seeking Possession within the last 12 months
  •  If either applicant has any rent arrears or other debt on their current tenancy
  • We have started Possession proceedings against your home
  • A relevant order is in force against you or a member of your household, such as an Anti-Social Behaviour Order, Anti-Social Behaviour Injunction or a Demotion Order
  • The property has been adapted for a disabled person and is not suitable for the person with whom you wish to exchange
  • By allowing the mutual exchange to take place the property would be over or under occupied in line with the bedroom standard.

If you think that your mutual exchange might be refused because of these or any other reason, please contact us to discuss your circumstances before submitting your application.

Yes. For example, if you are on an Assured tenancy and you swap with a Fixed Term tenancy you will inherit the tenancy end date.

We strongly recommend checking the tenancy type of the person you want to swap with. We also recommend seeking independent advice.

Get started with HomeSwapper

Register for our email newsletter and receive updates on news and events
Sign up today