Gas

Making sure you're safe and comfortable in your home is very important to us. Find out more on staying safe when it comes to gas.

Gas leaks

If you smell gas or you suspect there is a gas leak at your property call National Grid immediately on 0800 111 999

Ensure you follow all advice, given below:

  • Do not smoke or light matches

  • Do not turn electrical switches on or off
  • Open doors and windows
  • Turn off the meter at the control handle unless the meter is in the cellar

You will also have to contact us on 0800 012 1311 as we will need to attend.

Carbon Monoxide

Issues such as carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal but many people are not aware of the warning signs, particularly older people, who may put flu-like symptoms or simply feeling drowsy down to old age.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:

  • Nausea
  • Light-headedness
  • Headaches
  • Shortness of breath
  • Dizziness
  • Sleepiness

If your carbon monoxide alarm sounds or you suspect a leak, you should:

  • Stop using all appliances, switch them off, and open doors and windows to ventilate the property
  • Evacute the property immediately; stay calm
  • Call the gas emergency number on 0800 111 999 to report the incident, or the health and Safety Executive (HSE) gas safety advice line on 0800 300 363
  • You'll need to contact us on 08000 120 1311
  • Don't go back into the property, wait for advice from the emergency services
  • Seek immediate medical help; you may not realise you've been affected by the carbon monoxide
Register for our email newsletter and receive updates on news and events
Sign up today