Volunteer opportunity - we'd love to hear from you
Meet Marjorie, she’s 82 years old and a carer for her husband. Both Marjorie and her husband have problems with mobility and don’t have family living locally.
Marjorie finds food shopping a problem and she’d love to start using her new iPad to do her weekly grocery shop, but she doesn’t know where to start. She’s also keen to learn how to attach a file to an email and use Google.
As a Life Links Digital Champion volunteer you can help people like Marjorie and her husband get online and start enjoying digital technology, rather than being afraid of it.
What is Life Links and what do we do?
Life Links is a health and wellbeing project that supports people and their carers across Cheshire East.
A key element of this work is delivered by the Life Links Digital Champion volunteers either through 1-2-1 sessions in customer’s homes or at one of our ‘IT and Chat’ group sessions.
What skills does a Digital Champion need?
You don’t need to be a technical wizard or a digital expert, but what you do need is to:
- enjoy using the internet and appreciate the many benefits it can bring
- be confident using different devices: tablets, laptops and smart phones
- be encouraging, empathetic, a good listener, patient and reliable
- be willing to give 1-2 hours a week to help someone learn basic IT skills
What does a Digital Champion do?
Typical activities include teaching someone how to:
- using search engines to find information, browsing websites
- use email, Skype and social media
- save money through online price comparison
- ordering shopping online
Interested? Got a question? We’d love to hear from you.
Call 0808 281 1052 (call free, answered locally).
Wednesday February 8, 2017